Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ode to How Much Better I Feel When I Get Enough Sleep, and Take it Early

You stayed up late again last night.
This was not wise - you knew!
You wandered off to find your bed;
You changed your mind! Oh, silly head!
A Chopin film was on instead-
A choice you surely rue.

Remember back to days of yore-
It happened once or twice-
When sleep you found at early hours,
You dreamt of butterflies and flowers,
And woke with strange, refreshing powers-
Oh, how unearthly nice.

The grass was green when you arose;
The birds with vim did sing;
The sun might shine, or hide its face-
Small consequence, in either case,
For glad contentment found its place,
Whate'er the sky might bring.

With energy your tasks at hand
Were swiftly made complete.
You felt alive with each exhale,
And smiled to both succeed and fail;
Your foes ran off, their faces pale,
Full swathed in sore defeat.

Oh, go to bed on time tonight!
Forget not what you learned:
The night is dark and made for sleep-
You cannot sow and fail to reap-
These fleeting hours you cannot keep.
Be from this folly turned.

Your life will not be always bright-
The waves will still crash in;
But God made man to need his rest,
In order to be fully blessed
With strength to fight and live the best,
And find his rest in Him.

Sleep, sleep, beautiful sleep!
Sleep of the evening,
Beautiful sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nicely written! I can sympathize, although my body doesn't always give me the option of staying up late...my problem is I just need so MUCH sleep to feel like enough is enough!

-Cristy

tierney said...

Thanks. :) Regardless of sleep quantities required, I think I would do well to heed my body's pleas for rejuvenation more often than I do. It can be such an annoyance to be so weak and needy - but at the same time, a poignant reminder of how helpless we really are, and dependent on God's care.
...Yeah, I should definitely listen better.