Thursday, September 2, 2010

progress report

This one's for the record books:

So far I'm liking this "type" of blogging a lot better than my former approach. Of course, one hopes that I will periodically comment on subjects of a depth slightly greater than what is inherent in furniture and cement bricks; but we'll get there, hopefully.

In the meantime, I find it strangely liberating to let go of what (I can now see) was becoming an idol to me, with regards to my writing. Both the writing itself, and the feedback of other people. I am so needy - practically every time I would post something on my old blog, I would check obsessively for comments, and lose a significant portion of my self-worth when none were forthcoming.

"All that work, the best I could do - and still, nobody likes it? Oh, woe is me, the scum of the earth!"

Yeah, it was time to let go.

My challenge to myself with this blog is to look for the joy in the ordinary things of life, and to just write every day about something.

At present, three of the four posts I've posted have exactly (0) comments on them - and I could hardly care less. Quite possibly this is at least partly because I haven't poured hours of work and most of my heart's blood into their creation.

I've also discovered that I write, perhaps not best, but at least most easily, under two particular conditions:
1. in the morning;
and
2. when I've been reading good writing.

Good endings are so difficult. So important.

This post just isn't going to have one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha...you've got a great writing style. I'm really enjoying it.

I am a little obsessive about comments, too...okay, maybe not obsessive, but I really, really like them.

But even knowing that, I still don't comment on other people's blogs very much.

Now why is that?

~Cristy

patty said...

oh dear...we are sooo much alike. I constantly have to "self talk" my way out of despair or non-commented on posts. It's ridiculous! Glad I'm not alone ;)

patty said...

"on non-commented posts"

Mochamom said...

At least you are brave enough to announce your blog! :-D I haven't even done that because I know myself too well. I know that after a few months of no one commenting, it will finally get to me. haha. So give credit where credit is due! I love reading them!

tierney said...

Cristy - I have the same habit - loving comments, leaving none myself. Isn't it silly? I'm trying to do better. And thanks for the encouragement - I'm glad you can get some entertainment out of my blog too, instead of me just being a leech off all the happiness in yours. :)

Patty - Somehow that doesn't surprise me. :)(Not that you're that way about comments, I mean - just that we're alike in yet another way.) I don't think it's entirely sinful to want feedback on your work, I just take it too far.

Stephanie - Well, thank you. :) Incidentally, I love reading your blog, too! And I will go comment on it, as soon as I'm finished here. Don't give up! I think I'm learning too, that even if nobody else reads or comments, it still helps sometimes just to write things down and get them out of my head. But comments are still awfully nice. ;)