Monday, April 4, 2011

hair in my mouth

We stepped outside, and the wind whipped our hair into a mad dance, but we didn't really notice. Our voices were locked in deep combat, all eyes straining inward, intense.

"Yes," I said, not for the first time, "but how do you know it's real? Obviously you think it is, but you can't prove it. It's all words and ideas, all stuff anybody could have just made up. How do you know somebody didn't just make it up? It's just made up, you can't prove it isn't."

She looked at me intently. "It isn't," she said.

"That's ridiculous," I said. "Prove it to me."


"Beautiful, still afternoon," she said abruptly.

"What?" I missed the beat.

"It's so still," she repeated. "I'm glad it isn't windy. I hate the wind."

"It's horrifically windy," I said, and looked at her askance. "What are you talking about?"

"I don't think it really is, though." She was serious. "Prove to me that the wind is blowing."

"Oh no, not a mind game," I groaned. "Can't we just have a conversation? Admit you're wrong and have it over."

"No, really," she said. "Prove it. I want to see if you can."

I sighed. "Alright, fine. It's so freakishly obvious. Just look at the tree branches whipping around, look at the grass bowing down in waves. Feel it on your face. Feel the wind? It's windy."

"I could just be imagining it, though," she said. "I have a vivid imagination, so do you. Maybe we both want it to be windy, we remember the feeling of wind, and we make it up in our heads that we feel it right this minute, when it's not really there at all."

"That's stupid."

"But not impossible."

"You can clearly see the branches moving around in the air, and you can feel your hair getting in your mouth. Clearly not imaginary. And anyway, I feel it and see it all, too - and I'm not bound to your imagination."

"I suppose not," she said. I had her at last. "But maybe the trees were going to move around anyway. I mean, who needs wind?"

Dull stare. "Oh, for Pete's sake," I said. "Trees don't move on their own."

"Why not? It's contrary to their nature or something? Isn't in their makeup? Can't happen? Never in a million years."

"You realize this conversation is going nowhere, I hope," I said.

"You asked a question, and this is the answer," she said. "How do I know the Spirit within me is real? How do I know it's true? I know what I am, and all my life I've observed what I'm able to do. I've seen what can happen, and I've seen what has happened, and the two don't match up. I know the wind is blowing, because it's whipping against my face and rushing into my lungs, and the trees are waving their arms for joy - and trees don't move on their own."

2 comments:

Luke said...

You make a very good point Tierney. It is especially apt, since, I am told, the word in Hebrew for spirit also can mean breath or wind. I just wish it were that easy to reveal the work of the Holy Ghost to unbelievers. I suppose the best way to picture an unbeliever in your allegory would be to imagine that his/her sense of touch is dead, and that the said unbeliever hold his/her eyes shut so tight that the eye lids are almost fused shut. Furthermore, the wind that blows the unbeliever is very gusty, continually changing directions, and is out of a different direction than that of the believer, so that even if they do acknowledge the wind, they would not be able to understand the breeze that the believer experiences. However, once God opens the eyes, livens the body, and provides a fresh breeze, it becomes obvious. I hope that doesn't make the metaphors too complex.

tierney said...

Interesting thoughts ... There are lots of fascinating parallels to be drawn between the wind and the Holy Spirit (and yes, I'm sure it's no coincidence that the Hebrew is the way it is). In this instance I only really intended it as a very loose illustration of the experiential 'only possible explanation' "argument" in favor of the Spirit's work in a changed heart. It does get complicated if you extend it too far beyond that, but if you changed the metaphor and made it more of a direct allegory, I'm sure you could make the connections you mentioned. And of course it's good to bear in mind that all analogies break down at some point ... some sooner than others.