Saturday, October 2, 2010

little pebbles for tripping over

The other day, on my way to pick up a friend to spend the day together shopping and stuff, I found myself in dire need of sustenance (breakfast wasn't ready at home when I left). There's this little coffee shop in my minute little town - it's been there for several years, but I stopped in for the first time ever that morning. I got a latte, of course. And off their (rather limited, I confess) breakfast menu, I chose a ... muffin top! I'm so culturally sheltered, I had never consciously heard of such a thing, and it just seemed like the most darling little idea ever, I had to try one. Never mind that it was pretty much exactly the same amount of muffin material as if it had been just a regular old muffin. I'm such a sucker.

Two days ago (largely in consequence of the above-mentioned shopping expedition), I noticed my car was running a little low on fuel. Oh well, I've still got a quarter tank or so, and in the meantime, I've got places to be. Last night on the way home from work, the needle hovered near E. But I want to relish every moment of being home early. Stopping for gas would spoil it by at least ten minutes. I had to go back into town for groceries almost immediately upon arriving home. Mom probably needs these things right away so she can make supper. I'll get gas another time. Cami and I went to a piano concert (Gershwin) with Grandma later that evening. Afterwards, I thought about fueling up... But it's so late, I'm exhausted to death, all the stations will be closed, and Dad doesn't want us to use the credit card unless we really have to. After dinner today, leaving for work just on time - I look down. Yeah, my tank is pretty much empty. I stop for gas. I'm late for work.

This evening, as I was filling out paperwork to justify to the government my hours spent working as a respite provider, I wondered why the day I was writing about felt so familiar. Almost finished with page one, I looked up at the calendar. Small wonder ... it was still on the September page. October 1 had been a Friday, not a Thursday. I already filled out a paper for Thursday - and sent it in, even.

What, common sense? I have common sense coming out of my ears - what are you talking about? It took a lot of training to get it to do that. My next goal is to make some of it stay in my head.

On a more solemn note, Chariots of Fire is a simply spectacular film. That's all I'll say for now. A blog post on this topic may be coming soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my husband and I just watched Chariots of Fire night before last. I hadn't watched it since I was young and I thought it was super boring, but now I was old enough to appreciate how complex and well crafted it is.

tierney said...

You watched it the same night we did! Crazy, huh? It really is an amazing movie.